Sunday, July 29, 2012

Easy but bland

Southwestern Chicken and Corn Dinner


Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.  Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour inside a large foil bag (like Reynolds Hot Bags or another brand).  Sprinkle 4 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts and 4 thighs with 2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning blend.  Arrange chicken and 3 ears fresh or frozen corn-on-the-cob (cut into pieces), 1 each medium red and green bell peppers (cut into 1-inch pieces) and 1 medium onion (cut into eighths) in an even layer inside bag.  Sprinkle 2 more teaspoons seasoning blend over vegetables.  Double-fold end of bag and place in 1-inch-deep pan.  Bake 50-55 minutes.  Open away from your face to allow steam to escape.




As the heading of this post suggests, this recipe was super easy (for the most part), but pretty bland.  I cut the recipe in half because it's just me and I don't need that much chicken.  I made my own foil bag because I couldn't find any in the grocery store and when I opened it up after cooking, there was quite a bit of water in the bottom.  This could have contributed to none of the seasoning sticking to vegetables.  I am wondering if I should have cut slits in the bag to let steam out.  Maybe that would have helped.  Here is what my bag looked like.




I used fresh corn on the cob and the only hard part to this recipe was cutting the corn into pieces.  Do you know how hard the middle of the cob is?!?  You practically need a chisel to get it to break.  Or maybe I just need sharper knives.  That was by far the most difficult and longest part of the prep work.  If any knows of an easier way to cut corn on the cob into pieces, please let me know.  As for the Mexican seasoning blend, could not find anything with that name in the grocery store so I bought Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning blend.  Since most of it probably dissolved in the water in the bag, I couldn't really tell you what it tasted like, but it smelled really good.  If anyone has any ideas on how this recipe could be improved, let me know.  It was easy and has potential.  

No comments:

Post a Comment