Sunday, January 15, 2012

Better late than never . . . and it's not really a recipe

Italian Bread Crumbs

2-3 cups bread crumbs
3 cloves garlic, minced (or more to taste)
3 green onions, minced
3/4 cup grated romano or parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano

Combine in a food processor and pulse until mixed.  Store in a zip-locked bag in the freezer.


Ok, no picture for this one.  I didn't think anyone would want to see a ziplock bag of bread crumbs.  This was the recipe I picked last week and as I have been reminded by some, I didn't post last week.  Sorry, the week kind of got away from me.  But I'm back at it so here it is.  The only thing I can say about this one is that is smelled good.  I didn't taste them.  A spoonful of bread crumbs just didn't sound appetizing.  I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with a big bag of bread crumbs just yet.  I have some leftover chicken in the freezer, maybe I can make chicken fingers with marinara for dipping.  If anyone has any other ideas on how to use these bread crumbs, please feel free to share.  These are definitely going to last me a while.  If I still have the bag in my freezer a year from now, you will all be the first to know.  

1 comment:

  1. I found a super easy (and yummy!) recipe to use these bread crumbs with. Here it is!

    Tortellini Alfredo Casserole

    - 2 containers (10 ounces each) refrigerated Alfredo sauce
    - 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    - 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated green and white mixed cheese tortellini
    - 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, drained
    - 1/2 cup garlic and herb-flavored or parmesan-flavored bread crumbs (or homemade from the recipe in this post!)
    - 1 tablespoon olive oil

    Heat oven to 375 degrees. In medium-sized bowl, stir together Alfredo sauce, 2 cups of water and pepper. Pour 1 cup sauce mixture into bottom of 2-1/2-quart shallow casserole. Arrange half the torellini (uncooked) in a single layer over sauce; sprinkle with chopped broccoli. Pour 1-1/2 cups sauce over the top. Repeat layering remaining tortellini and remaining sauce. Cover with foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Heat broiler. In small bowl, stir together bread crumbs and olive oil until evenly coated. Sprinkle crumbs on top. Place casserole under broiler about 4 inches from heat until bread crumbs are golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings.

    Word to the wise, only put the casserole under the broiler for 1 minute, otherwise the bread crumbs may start to burn a little. Also, 2 cups of water made for a pretty soupy sauce even after baking. However, the leftovers really thickened up over night in the fridge and this dish was awesome reheated the next day!

    ReplyDelete