Sunday, January 15, 2012

This week's real recipe

Carrot-Banana Bread


1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (3 medium-sized)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped nuts

In a large bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs.  Mash bananas in small bowl.  Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Blend in flour mixture alternately with bananas.  Combine mixture with egg-butter-sugar mixture.  Stir in carrots and nuts.  Turn into greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.  Bake in 350 degree oven 50 to 60 minutes, or until cake tester inserted comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes, turn out of pan and cool completely.  Makes one loaf.



This is a very sneaky way to eat carrots for someone like me who doesn't really care for carrots. A tasty recipe, however I like my own tried and true banana bread recipe better (if anyone is interested in that recipe, just let me know, I'm more than happy to share).  I did not add the chopped nuts because I don't believe nuts belong in bread.  I am a bit of a bread purist.  I had some issues getting the loaf out of the pan.  I greased and floured it since the flour tends to help that, but part of it still got stuck and the loaf broke apart.  




Even when I tried to slice it the slices crumbled.  The bread was plenty moist, so I'm not sure what was going on.  It just didn't hold together very well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment